Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, david(at)pgmasters(dot)net, Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com, craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries
Date: 2018-07-02 23:14:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/26/2018 05:00 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:

>> The attached is the patch set including this plancache stuff.
>>
>> 0001- catcache time-based expiration (The origin of this thread)
>> 0002- introduces dynahash pruning feature
>> 0003- implement relcache pruning using 0002
>> 0004- (perhaps) independent from the three above. PoC of
>> plancache pruning. Details are shown above.
> I found up to v3 in this thread so I named this version 4.

Andres suggested back in March (and again privately to me) that given
how much this has changed from the original this CF item should be
marked Returned With Feedback and the current patchset submitted as a
new item.

Does anyone object to that course of action?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com