Speed in V8.0

From: "Thomas Wegner" <tomaten(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Speed in V8.0
Date: 2004-12-21 23:03:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello, i have a problem between V7.4.3 Cygwin and
V8.0RC2 W2K. I have 2 systems:

1. Production Machine
- Dual P4 3000MHz
- 2 GB RAM
- W2K
- PostgreSQL 7.4.3 under Cygwin
- i connect to it over a DSL Line
2. Develop Machine
- P4 1800MHz
- 760 MB RAM
- PostgreSQL Native Windows
- local connection 100MB/FD

Both systems use the default postgresql.conf. Now the problem.
I have an (unoptimized, dynamic) query wich was execute on the
production machine over DSL in 2 seconds and on my develop
machine, connected over local LAN, in 119 seconds!

Whats this? I can not post the query details here public, its a commercial
project. Any first idea? I execute on both machine the same query with
the same database design!
Thomas Wegner
CabrioMeter - The Weather Plugin for Trillian
http://www.wegner24.de/cabriometer