Re: Inserts optimization?

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inserts optimization?
Date: 2006-04-14 20:27:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe writes:

> Spares are placed in service one at a time.

Ah.. that's your point. I know that. :-)

> You don't need 2 spares for
> RAID 10, trust me.

We bought the machine with 8 drives. At one point we were considering RAID
5, then we decided to give RAID 10 a try. We have a simmilar machine with
raid 5 and less memory (2GB, vs 4GB on the new machine) and the old machine
was having some very serious issues handling the load.

So far the RAID10 machine (twice the memory, newer disks, faster CPUs,..
the previous machine was about 1 year old) has been performing very well.

We are now looking to put our 3rd NFS machine into production with
identical specs as the machine we currently use with RAID10. This 3rd
machine with do NFS work (mail store) and also will be our database server
(until we can afford to buy a 4th.. dedicated DB machine).

The whole reason I started the thread was because most PostgreSQL setups I
have done in the past were mostly read.. whereas now the Bacula backups plus
another app we will be developing.. will be doing considerable writes to the
DB.