Re: Inserts optimization?

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inserts optimization?
Date: 2006-04-13 18:59:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom Lane writes:

> Or at least try to do multiple inserts per transaction.

Will see if the program has an option like that.

> Also, increasing checkpoint_segments and possibly wal_buffers helps a

Will try those.

>Try to get the WAL onto a separate disk
>spindle if you can. (These things don't matter for SELECTs, but they
>do matter for writes.)

This particular server is pretty much what I inherited for now for this
project.and its Raid 5. There is a new server I am setting up
soon... 8 disks which we are planning to setup
6 disks in RAID 10
2 Hot spares

In RAID 10 would it matter that WALL is in the same RAID set?
Would it be better:
4 disks in RAID10 Data
2 disks RAID 1 WALL
2 hot spares