Re: Inserts optimization?

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inserts optimization?
Date: 2006-04-20 19:43:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Apr 13, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> This particular server is pretty much what I inherited for now for
> this project.and its Raid 5. There is a new server I am setting up
> soon... 8 disks which we are planning to setup
> 6 disks in RAID 10
> 2 Hot spares
>
> In RAID 10 would it matter that WALL is in the same RAID set?
> Would it be better:
> 4 disks in RAID10 Data
> 2 disks RAID 1 WALL
> 2 hot spares

why do you need two hot spares?

I'd go with 6 disk RAID10 for data
2 disk RAID1 for WAL (and OS if you don't have other disks from which
to boot)

and run nothing else but Postgres on that box.

bump up checkpoint_segments to some huge number like 256 and use the
bg writer process.

if a disk fails, just replace it quickly with a cold spare.

and if your RAID controller has two channels, pair the mirrors across
channels.