Re: RFD

From: jtbellj3p(at)presby(dot)edu (Jon Bell)
To: "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-general"(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFD
Date: 2004-11-05 06:06:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

In article <2v0ibhF2dsc92U1(at)uni-berlin(dot)de>,
Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

>I would like to point out that it is NOT creating a different group. It
>will still be the same, and there will not be a split or anything. What
>will happen is that the postgresql group will become legitimate, and
>therefore all usenet servers will carry the group.

[I'm posting this from news.groups, where this discussion is being
crossposted. I have no connection with the postgresql groups myself; I'm
just a longtime observer of the newsgroup-creation process.]

Just to clarify Mike's comments and make a minor correction... if this
proposal comes to a vote and passes, it will *not* guarantee that "all"
Usenet servers will carry the comp.databases.postgresql.general. There
are servers that do not keep in sync with the "official" list of groups
maintained by the moderators of news.announce.newgroups, out of laziness
or other reasons. Nevertheless, it *will* cause significantly more
servers to carry the group than before, including most or all of the
"well-managed" ones.

And it will have no effect on the availability or functioning of the group
on those servers that currently do carry it, except of course that you'll
probably have more postings to read.

--
Jon Bell <jtbellm4h(at)presby(dot)edu> Presbyterian College