Re: Time to retire Windows XP buildfarm host?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to retire Windows XP buildfarm host?
Date: 2016-12-05 16:38:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/05/2016 11:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Windows XP has been past end of life for quite some time. Nevertheless I
>> have kept my instance running with three buildfarm members: frogmouth,
>> currawong and brolga. Howeever, a recent commit (apparently fa2fa99, but
>> I'm not 100% sure) started causing a compiler segmentation fault on
>> frogmouth, the mingw/gcc-4.5.0 animal running on this machine.
>> Does anyone have any strong opinion in favor of keeping any of these
>> animals running?
> Hm, a look through our commit logs finds multiple mentions of each of
> these animals as having been the only one showing a particular portability
> issue. So I'm worried about loss of portability coverage. Are you sure
> that the animals' build options and choices of toolchains are replicated
> elsewhere?

Not exactly the same, no. e.g. jacana is similar but it doesn't build
with python, tcl or openssl, and does build with nls, it's 64bit vs
32bit, and it runs a more modern compiler on a more modern OS.

If you think it's worth it I will put some effort into fixing frogmouth.
I can certainly keep the others running for a while with little
difficulty. I will disable frogmouth until I get a chance to look for a
fix - next week at the earliest.

cheers

andrew