Re: Binary Cursors, and the COPY command

From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Binary Cursors, and the COPY command
Date: 2004-07-27 09:39:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

"Oliver Jowett" <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> wrote in message
> NIO is not present before JDK 1.4. The JDBC driver, at least, needs to
> support earlier JVMs.

Clients only capable of network order (such as a Java 1.3 based JDBC driver)
must of course be supported still. No argument there. My objection was to
your general statement that "Java has no idea what the native byte order
is".

Another more philosophical question (more suitable on the jdbc list) is when
the Java 1.3 support should be limited (or perhaps discontinued altogether)
so that further development can exploit everything that 1.4 provides. After
all, it's been around for more than 2 years now. AFAIK, the early bugs
forcing you to cling on to the 1.3 have been fixed a long time ago. Doesn't
the current 3.0 driver make use of features from the Java 1.4 version of
java.sql already?

> The problem with using native byte orderings is not the byte ordering
> itself, but that the order is unpredictable -- at best, you have to
> implement code to handle both orders, and at worst you have to just take
> a guess and hope you were right..

Sure, but those problems are present regardless of implementation language.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren