Re: BUG #14589: Error in creating tablespace

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: dmitry(dot)pradun(at)qaddress(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14589: Error in creating tablespace
Date: 2017-03-28 10:18:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

> CREATE TABLESPACE "temp" OWNER postgres LOCATION
> 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Éxtended DB'
>
> But the error occurs:
>
> ERROR: 58P01: directory "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Éxtended DB" does not
> exist
>
> At the same time, the directory physically is available, it was
pre-created.
> As i understand, the problem is in the existance in the directory path of
> the symbol 'É'. How can the problem be solved?

PostgreSQL passes strings in database encoding, typically UTF-8, to
multibyte versions of Windows APIs. So non-ASCII characters cannot be
used in file names in most cases.

# I couldn't find a description like that in the documentation..

If you were on, for example, CP1252, setting server encoding to LATIN-1
might work but I'm not sure about that and I don't think it is a
solution for you.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi