postmaster became multithreaded

From: Wayne Pichotta <wpichotta(at)truecar(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postmaster became multithreaded
Date: 2017-03-28 19:17:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Yesterday my computer froze while postgres was running. After a restart I got this message while trying to connect to postgres while developing a rails app:
PG::ConnectionBad
could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

I tried everything I could find googling. I tried to remove the postmaster.pid file that many people on google were talking about but it didn’t exist. I uninstalled and reinstalled postgres with homebrew. I uninstalled and reinstalled the pg rails gem.

I just saw this in my logs:
LOG: postmaster became multithreaded
DETAIL: Please report this to <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>.

I decided to follow the directions.

Wayne Pichotta | Senior Manager, Software Engineering
e: wpichotta(at)truecar(dot)com<mailto:wpichotta(at)truecar(dot)com>
TRUECar