Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w
Date: 2004-07-01 15:35:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

On 01.07.2004 16:33 Tom Lane wrote:
> I do *not* wish to allow people to override the safety check. We
> periodically get complaints from Unix users that they don't see why
> they shouldn't be allowed to start the server as root; we have not
> been swayed by those arguments and I do not propose to be swayed
> by the Windows variant. Unsafe is unsafe.

"When in Rome..."

The problem is that Unix users are used to that concept. Even if I assume that
the usual user trying/using Postgres is more experienced then the average
Windows user, this is still not the way things are done in Windows. Especially
with a desktop computer.
I fully understand your point when it comes to production servers, but I'm sure
that a lot of people would like to try out Postgres on their desktop and use PG
as a desktop database. Those users could be easily be taken aback from using PG
in that case.

Just my 0.02 EUR

Thomas