Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, "'Gary Doades'" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w
Date: 2004-07-01 14:33:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> Maybe the installer can offer to create a safe user.

That seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

I do *not* wish to allow people to override the safety check. We
periodically get complaints from Unix users that they don't see why
they shouldn't be allowed to start the server as root; we have not
been swayed by those arguments and I do not propose to be swayed
by the Windows variant. Unsafe is unsafe.