Re: Using Postgres to store genetic data

From: Peter Hunsberger <peter(dot)hunsberger(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Postgres to store genetic data
Date: 2009-07-11 02:56:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Steve Crawford
<scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> wrote:

> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>>
>> We're looking at potentially using Postgres to store a variety of molecular and genetic data.  At this point I have a bunch of general questions...
>
> I don't know enough about your area of expertise to know if this is useful, but I'd look at the Unison project to see what they are doing. There are also videos/slides up from a recent San Francisco PUG meeting at UCSF that might be of interest:
>
> http://www.vimeo.com/3732938
> http://www.slideshare.net/linuxpoet/unison-ucsf-sfpug

Looks like it may be somewhat applicable to my first question. Thanks.

Area of expertise is application architecture and design, focusing on
clinical systems for medical research these last 7 years or so and
medical in general for the last 15. Adding the genomic and molecular
world to the mix is a new initiative. At the moment I've got enough
domain knowledge to be dangerous...

--
Peter Hunsberger