Re: Timeline ID hexadecimal format

From: Sébastien Lardière <sebastien(at)lardiere(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timeline ID hexadecimal format
Date: 2023-01-27 16:17:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27/01/2023 15:55, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 27.01.23 14:52, Sébastien Lardière wrote:
>> The attached patch proposes to change the format of timelineid from
>> %u to %X.
>
> I think your complaint has merit.  But note that if we did a change
> like this, then log files or reports from different versions would
> have different meaning without a visual difference, which is kind of
> what you complained about in the first place.  At least we should do
> something like 0x%X.

Indeed, but the messages that puzzled was in one log file, just
together, not in some differents versions.

But yes, it should be documented somewhere, actually, I can't find any
good place for that,

While digging, It seems that recovery_target_timeline should be given in
decimal, not in hexadecimal, which seems odd to me ; and pg_controldata
use decimal too, not hexadecimal…

So, if this idea is correct, the given patch is not enough.

Anyway, do you think it is a good idea or not ?

>> Regarding .po files, I don't know how to manage them. Is there any
>> routine to spread the modifications? Or should I identify and change
>> each message?
>
> Don't worry about this.  This is handled elsewhere.

nice,

regards,

--
Sébastien