Postgres Hidden Pitfalls

From: matthew(dot)palmer(at)abcmail(dot)co(dot)uk (Matt Palmer)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres Hidden Pitfalls
Date: 2002-08-30 09:37:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

is anyone able to assist me in finding a publication/source which
documents Postgresqls hidden problems. I have some postgresql books
which are good for database creation/functions, but for example just
recently I had a problem with the 'pg_xlogs', of which I could find no
mention inside the manuals I had.

Unfortuantely my /var file system filled up because I had to do about
10 bulk copies, which created an unexpected 160 mb of xlog files on
var and toppled the system as the var filesystem filled up. - Its
things like this I would be insterested in, so that I can pre-empt
them happening. Fortunately I managed to resolve this issue, but it
took me a days work to get there.

Any help you have would be great.

Thanks