Re: Time slowly goes out of sync

From: "Chad R(dot) Larson" <chad(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Aaron <aarmel(at)netagi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time slowly goes out of sync
Date: 2002-08-30 04:28:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

At 10:14 AM 8/29/02 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Postgres just asks the OS what time it is. I think you have an off-speed
>system clock crystal (lots of PC-grade hardware will gain or lose 10
>minutes/month :-().

On the other hand, in a day of Network Time Protocol (NTP) there is
absolutely no excuse for a machine to have a date/time off by more than a
few milliseconds.

UNIX users probably already have an ntpd available on their system, if not
it's an easy download.

On my windows boxes I use "Dimension 4" http://www.thinkman.com/~thinkman
for a free sntp agent.

-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22) chad(at)eldocomp(dot)com
Eldorado Computing, Inc. 602-604-3100