Re: BUG #14941: Vacuum crashes

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: lyes(dot)amd(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14941: Vacuum crashes
Date: 2017-12-01 17:15:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 12/01/2017 05:09 PM, lyes(dot)amd(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Bug reference: 14941
> Logged by: Lyes Ameddah
> Email address: lyes(dot)amd(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.0

The current minor version in 9.6 branch is 9.6. You're missing a year
worth of bugfixes ...

> Operating system: CentOs 7
>
> Hello,
>
> I make a complete empty once a week in an automated way and it happens that
> the vacuum is stuck on a table (perhaps another process has a lock first).

1) Completely empty what?

2) Do you mean autovacuum or manual vacuum?

3) Do you see waiting locks in pg_locks catalog while this is happening?

SELECT * FROM pg_locks WHERE NOT granted;

> The behavior I would like to see is that the void ignores this table and
> moves to another instead of being blocked.

I believe autovacuum should not block waiting for a heavy-weight lock on
a table since this commit that went into 9.1:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=32896c40ca766146312b28a5a0eb3f66ca0300ed

So I'm wondering what problem you're running into.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com