Re: transactions from PHP - double COMMIT required?

From: mikie <mikie(dot)pl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transactions from PHP - double COMMIT required?
Date: 2007-03-01 11:29:58
Lists: pgsql-php

2007/3/1, Mihail Mihailov <Mihail(dot)Mihailov(at)uta(dot)fi>:

> Hi,
>
> I think you should use ROLLBACK if the query cannot be executed.
> one can commit only results of the queries that work.
> Try ROLLBACK statement.
>
> The thing is that when I try my transaction from psql console then the
command ROLLBACK is being issued by the postgres server itself right after I
close my transaction with COMMIT;. According to transaction logic and idea -
if something goes wrong then the entire transaction is being cancelled by
ROLLBACK - it is the server responsibility to rollback such transaction.

Now, when I try to do some inserts within my transaction I don't know if
they will fail or not. Eitherway I am closing my transaction with the
COMMIT; command - is that correct way ?
It works logically OK from within psql console (I start with BEGIN and then
close my sql commands with commit) but it does not work this way from within
PHP script. I believe there is some issue with PHP - I am not sure if PHP
processor applies some changes to my query and thus ignores the commit
command?

--
Mike