Re: Lessons from commit fest

From: "Tom Dunstan" <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date: 2008-04-16 14:20:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> I think pg_indent has to be made a lot more portable and easy to use
> before that can happen :-) I've run it once or twice on linux machines,
> and it comes out with huge changes compared to what Bruce gets on his
> machine. Other times, it doesn't :-) So yeah, it could be that it just
> needs to be made easier to use, because I may certainly have done
> something wrong.

Yeah, I recall trying it a while ago and not having happy memories. It
should be possible (and indeed, mandatory) for patch submitters to run
it over their code before submitting it - having core guys whose time
is so valuable dealing with indentation etc seems an incredible waste.
It won't fix everything, as Tom points out, but it's a better starting
point.

Cheers

Tom