Re: Lessons from commit fest

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date: 2008-04-16 14:19:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think pg_indent has to be made a lot more portable and easy to use
> before that can happen :-) I've run it once or twice on linux machines,
> and it comes out with huge changes compared to what Bruce gets on his
> machine.

Yeah, I've had no luck with it either.

Every so often there are discussions of going over to GNU indent
instead. Presumably that would solve the portability problem.
The last time we tried it (which was a long time ago) it seemed
to have too many bugs and idiosyncrasies of its own, but it would
be worth a fresh round of experimenting IMHO.