Re: pg_connect takes 3.0 seconds

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Dmitri Girski <mitek17(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_connect takes 3.0 seconds
Date: 2010-01-07 20:13:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Oops, I meant to mention this too .... virtually all GigE and/or server
class NICs do TCP checksum offload.

Dimitri - it's unlikely that you have a hardware issue on the NIC, it's more
likely to be a cable problem or network congestion. What you want to look
for in the tcpdump capture is things like SYN retries.

A good way to test for cable issues is to use a ping flood with a large
packet size.

Cheers
Dave

Hang on a sec. You need to ignore bad checksums on *outbound* packets,