Re: Postgres Permissions Article

From: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Permissions Article
Date: 2017-03-30 20:19:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Also I don't understand why you wrote “You need the permission on both
> tables”: Only the owner of a table can add constraints to it

Ah, this piece was really helpful for me in making it click. Thanks so
much! I added a couple new paragraphs to my post with a link back to
this thread. I feel like it all makes sense now! :-)

FYI "You need this permission on both tables" is what the docs say
(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-grant.html):

> To create a foreign key constraint, it is necessary to have this
privilege on both the referencing and referenced columns.

Maybe it would be worth clarifying there that you need to *own* the
referencing table, and you need REFERENCES on the referenced table?

In any case, thanks again to you all for your help figuring this out!

Paul