Re: pg_dump recording privileges on foreign data wrappers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adam Mackler <pgsql-general(at)mackler(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump recording privileges on foreign data wrappers
Date: 2017-03-30 19:36:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Adam Mackler <pgsql-general(at)mackler(dot)org> writes:
> If I grant a privilege on a foreign data wrapper like this:
> GRANT USAGE ON FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER postgres_fdw TO myuser;

> from within psql, then a dump of the database produced using pg_dump
> seems to lack an equivalent GRANT statement, even though it contains
> the CREATE EXTENSION statement for that foreign data wrapper.

Yeah, it was only in 9.6 that we grew any infrastructure that would
allow handling this properly. Before that, there was no way to track
which GRANTs on an extension object were part of the extension's
initial script and which had been issued later --- so pg_dump just
assumed they were all of the former kind and didn't dump anything
for extension member objects.

> I am using version 9.5.6.

9.6.x will make this better for you.