Connection Idle in transaction

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connection Idle in transaction
Date: 2004-04-08 21:20:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,
I'm facing a problem with the unfamous:

"idle in transaction"

problem. I'm using the JDBC driver.

Mainly the problem is that the JDBC interface doesn't
provide the method begin() for a transaction object,
of course this is not a JDBC postgres interface problem.

Let me explain what happen using the JDBC interface

Client Side | Server Side

1) Open a connection | Connection accepted
| <- Connection Idle
2) set autocommit false | begin;
| <- Idle in transaction
3) select now(); | select now();
| <- Idle in transaction
4) commit; | commit; begin;
| <- Idle in transaction
5) select now(); | select now();
| <- Idle in transaction
6) rollback; | rollback; begin;
| <- Idle in transaction

as you can easily understand there is no window time larger enough with
a connection idle, I thin that the JDBC behaviour ( with the server I
mean ) is not really correct: if the application is waiting for a user
entry then the connection remain: idle in transaction.

This is the behaviour that I think it's better:

Client Side | Server Side

1) Open a connection | Connection accepted
| <- Connection Idle
2) set autocommit false | NOP
| <- Connection Idle
3) select now(); | begin; select now();
| <- Idle in transaction
4) commit; | commit;
| <- Connection Idle
5) select now(); | begin; select now();
| <- Idle in transaction
6) select now(); | select now();
| <- Idle in transaction
7) rollback; | rollback;
| <- Connection Idle

AS you can see the JDBC driver must do a begin only before the
first statement.

Am I missing something ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola