Re: Connection Idle in transaction

From: "David Wall" <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connection Idle in transaction
Date: 2004-04-08 22:35:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> I'm facing a problem with the unfamous:
>
> "idle in transaction"

Why is this "infamous"? Does it cause problems somewhere? I understand it
may "look unusual" to you, but there's really no issue in that each
connection that doesn't use autocommit is always in a transaction, so that
any statements you issue are done under that transaction until you
commit/rollback, at which time a new transaction is initiated in preparation
for further statements being issued.

Is there some issue that Postgresql has problems because such transactions
are held open for a long time? I've never seen any such problem in the
years using PG. After all, maintaining the open connection is the expensive
operation, and I think the open transaction is a nit (but I certainly can be
wrong!).

David