Re: Postgres under Windows

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Danny Gaethofs <dgaethofs(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres under Windows
Date: 2005-05-30 16:02:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Danny,

On May 30, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Danny Gaethofs wrote:

> Now I try to create a database as explained in the
> documentation:
>
> createdb mydb
>
> The systems asks for a password and when I enter the
> password it comes back with:
>
> could not connect to database template1: FATAL:
> password authentication failed for user "xxx"

If you just entered "createdb mydb" that is not going to work unless
you are logged into a Windows account which has the same name as a
PostgreSQL user account that can create databases. If you really called
createdb with more options, please show us exactly what you typed and
exactly what the error output is.

You probably want something more like:

createdb.exe -h 127.0.0.1 -U postgres mydb

If you can do things OK with pgAdmin, then it is most likely there is
just some incorrect option in the command line.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL