Postgres under Windows

From: Danny Gaethofs <dgaethofs(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres under Windows
Date: 2005-05-30 14:13:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear all,

I need some help to get postgres working under
windows.

I installed postgress using the .msi

I am able to start the pgadminiii and start the
database server with no problems.

Now I try to create a database as explained in the
documentation:

createdb mydb

The systems asks for a password and when I enter the
password it comes back with:

could not connect to database template1: FATAL:
password authentication failed for user "xxx"

At first I thought that because the user xxx (which is
not the postgres user) did not exist the error was
given. So I went to pgadminiii and created the user
"xxx" and gave him rights to create a database. But
still the error remains.

After that I made some changes to the pg_hba.conf file
and changed the method
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

INTO
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust

But this does not help either.

Why am I not able to connect to the database
template1?

regards,
Danny