Re: gitlab post-mortem: pg_basebackup waiting for checkpoint

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gitlab post-mortem: pg_basebackup waiting for checkpoint
Date: 2017-02-17 19:17:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/14/17 5:18 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'd rather have a --quiet mode instead. If you're running it by hand,
>> you're likely to omit the switch, whereas when writing the cron job
>> you're going to notice lack of switch even before you let the job run
>> once.
>
> Well, that might've been a better way to design it, but changing it
> now would break backward compatibility and I'm not really sure that's

Meh... it's really only going to affect cronjobs or scripts, which are
easy enough to fix, and you're not going to have that many of them (or
if you do you certainly have an automated way to push the update).

> a good idea. Even if it is, it's a separate concern from whether or
> not in the less-quiet mode we should point out that we're waiting for
> a checkpoint on the server side.

Well, --quite was suggested because of confusion from pg_basebackup
twiddling it's thumbs...
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)