Re: gitlab post-mortem: pg_basebackup waiting for checkpoint

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gitlab post-mortem: pg_basebackup waiting for checkpoint
Date: 2017-02-14 23:18:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I'd rather have a --quiet mode instead. If you're running it by hand,
> you're likely to omit the switch, whereas when writing the cron job
> you're going to notice lack of switch even before you let the job run
> once.

Well, that might've been a better way to design it, but changing it
now would break backward compatibility and I'm not really sure that's
a good idea. Even if it is, it's a separate concern from whether or
not in the less-quiet mode we should point out that we're waiting for
a checkpoint on the server side.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company