Re: configure script failure with SCO 5.0.7

From: "David P(dot) Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configure script failure with SCO 5.0.7
Date: 2004-03-25 23:44:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in message

>the obvious thing
> to try is to remove the line in src/template/sco that does that.

Getting close now:

Removed the -b elf option in src/template/sco, and configure completed
without problem, then again with perl and openssl options added.

Make, make install, and initdb completed without problems. Default
directories were used (/usr/local/pgsql/...) The 7.3x version from SCO
wasn't uninstalled, but isn't running. It installed binaries to a different
directory, and was set up to use a different data directory.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to /usr/local/pgsql/lib for user postgres

tcp_socket set to true in postgresql.conf

trusted access set for local use in pg_hba.conf

trusted access set for host for my windows box on LAN in pg_hba.conf

postmaster loads without error, with initial log messages to stdout same as
other version.

logging into the server locally as postgres from the console, "locally"
(xterm on X desktop from my windows box) or telnet from my windows box
results in the same error when attempting to run createdb or psql:

dplp4:~$ psql template1
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request.
dplp4:~$ createdb testdb
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request.
createdb: database creation failed

Here is a sample output from the server log after either of the above:

dplp4:/usr/local/pgsql/data$ cat server.log
LOG: database system was shut down at 2004-03-25 18:43:09 EST
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/9B276C
LOG: redo record is at 0/9B276C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 653; next OID: 17142
LOG: database system is ready
LOG: setsockopt(TCP_NODELAY) failed: Protocol not available

I can connect to the server using trusted login from pgAdminIII from my
windows box, with template0 and template1 displayed as with the older
version, and cywin ports on windows boxes.

Attempt at creating a new database with pgAdminIII results in

ERROR: source database "template1" is being accessed by other users

The same error also shows up in the server log.

Thanks for your assistance. What should I try next?

David P. Lurie