Re: First SVG graphic

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First SVG graphic
Date: 2018-11-30 17:04:06
Lists: pgsql-docs

I take the reactions of the last days as a strong consent to go on with
the effort to integrate graphics into the documentation and use SVG as
the language which creates such graphics. Also the proposed parallel
handling of two SVG files - a rich but tool-specific version (optional
and not normative) and a poor tool-independent version (mandatory and
normative) - for the same graphic seems to be accepted. The community
agrees that this way is not optimal because the use of *different
SVG-tools* will lead to unnecessary problems - but there is no consensus
about tools.

What shall we do next:

* I will create one or more wiki pages where the procedure is
described. Everybody can extend this pages or contribute to their
discussion sites. The pages will be found in the category
'Documentation' and its subcategory 'SVG' (to be created).
* Actually, we have the very simple example 'PageLayout.svg' and an
example of medium complexity 'gin.svg'. For testing purposes we
shall have a third one of high complexity and with many different
graphical elements. Can someone send such an example - as a
screenshot or in any other format?
* I want to engage everybody to identify important issues of PG and
visualize them (similar to Oleg's proposal). We will have a -
possibly long lasting - period of experiments with different
examples. I think, it's necessary that we make our experiences with
different tools and proceedings (one person creates a graphic,
another one contributes changes, using the same or a different tool,
...). Those examples shall not be pure academic use cases. They
shall reflect real situations with the expectation to be included
into the documentation - one day or another.
* In the initial phase, it may be helpful to do some centralized
clearings on the first SVG source files. 'Copy&Paste' is widely used
and the first examples will have the meaning of a lighthouse.
* I will contact our web-team to discuss style-guide related issues.

Kind regards, Jürgen