Re: Upgrading

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Amn Ojee Uw <amnojeeuw(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading
Date: 2023-07-31 02:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/30/23 19:22, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
> Thank you Ron and Peter for taking the time to respond to my call for help.
>
> In summery, I'd like to use PostgreSQL-15.
>
> However, since my Debian 12 already has already PostgreSQL-15 installed,
> did I inadvertently overwrote PostgreSQL-15 when I installed
> PostgreSQL-12? If so, how do I remove PostgreSQL-12 and continue on with
> PostgreSQL-15.

Short answer

1) No you just created a new cluster. See result of:

pg_lsclusters

2) This assumes you don't have any valuable data in cluster. To remove
first confirm cluster name below(main) with above command then:

pg_dropcluster 12 main

Longer answer read:

https://wiki.debian.org/PostgreSql

and for more in depth explanation two blogs I recently posted:

https://aklaver.org/wordpress/2023/06/29/postgres-debian-ubuntu-packagingpart-1/

https://aklaver.org/wordpress/2023/07/01/postgres-debian-ubuntu-packagingpart-2/

--
Adrian Klaver