Re: pgsql: Enable Unix-domain sockets support on Windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Enable Unix-domain sockets support on Windows
Date: 2020-06-29 15:17:58
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On 2020-06-27 13:57, Amit Kapila wrote:
>> Fair enough, but what should be the behavior in the Windows versions
>> (<10) where Unix-domain sockets are not supported?
>
> You get an error about an unsupported address family, similar to
> trying to use IPv6 on a system that doesn't support it.
>
>> BTW, in which
>> format the path needs to be specified for unix_socket_directories?  I
>> tried with '/c/tmp', 'c:/tmp', 'tmp' but nothing seems to be working,
>> it gives me errors like: "could not create lock file
>> "/c/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": No such file or directory" on server
>> start.  I am trying this on Win7 just to check what is the behavior of
>> this feature on it.
>
> Hmm, the only thing I remember about this now is that you need to use
> native Windows paths, meaning you can't just use /tmp under MSYS, but
> it needs to be something like C:\something.  But the error you have
> there is not even about the socket file but about the lock file, which
> is a normal file, so if that goes wrong, it might be an unrelated
> problem.

It needs to be a path from the Windows POV, not an Msys virtualized
path. So c:/tmp or just /tmp should work, but /c/tmp or similar probably
will not. The directory needs to exist. I just checked that this is
working, both in postgresql.conf and on the psql command line.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com