Re: pgsql: Enable Unix-domain sockets support on Windows

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Enable Unix-domain sockets support on Windows
Date: 2020-06-28 08:33:53
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2020-06-27 13:57, Amit Kapila wrote:
> Fair enough, but what should be the behavior in the Windows versions
> (<10) where Unix-domain sockets are not supported?

You get an error about an unsupported address family, similar to trying
to use IPv6 on a system that doesn't support it.

> BTW, in which
> format the path needs to be specified for unix_socket_directories? I
> tried with '/c/tmp', 'c:/tmp', 'tmp' but nothing seems to be working,
> it gives me errors like: "could not create lock file
> "/c/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": No such file or directory" on server
> start. I am trying this on Win7 just to check what is the behavior of
> this feature on it.

Hmm, the only thing I remember about this now is that you need to use
native Windows paths, meaning you can't just use /tmp under MSYS, but it
needs to be something like C:\something. But the error you have there
is not even about the socket file but about the lock file, which is a
normal file, so if that goes wrong, it might be an unrelated problem.