Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Mike Sherrill <MSherrill(at)compuserve(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Date: 2003-10-07 02:47:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3 Oct 2003 21:39:03 GMT, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
wrote:

>There are two notable 'projects' out there:
>
> 1. There's Darwen and Date's "Tutorial D" language, defined as part
> of their "Third Manifesto" about relational databases.
>
> 2. newSQL <http://newsql.sourceforge.net/>, where they are studying
> two syntaxes, one based on Java, and one based on a
> simplification (to my mind, oversimplification) of SQL.

ISTR that Terry Halpin (of ORM fame) designed a language named
"ConQuer". I don't know the details, but I think Date's latest
edition refers to it in a note. Halpin's working on Visio at
Microsoft now, I think.

--
Mike Sherrill
Information Management Systems