Maybe Basic Questions ....

From: "Joao" <joao(at)inforap(dot)pt>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Maybe Basic Questions ....
Date: 2003-07-28 11:48:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

I'm New in PostGreSQL so I couldn't yet do much things with this DB.

My Problem is the folwing...

I've a Linux (RedHat 8.0) with PGSQL preinstalled.
The Questions ?
1 - Who to connect to database via ODBC or PGAdmin2.

If I Try to connect with pgadmin2 this error apears :
---------------------
Could not connect to the server;
Could not connect to remote socket.

Check each of the following possible causes of this error:
- The server or port specified is incorrect.

- The client workstation cannot establish a network connection to the
server. Try using 'ping' on the workstation to check the network.

- The server is not listening on a TCP/IP port. Make sure that the
postmaster was started with the -i option, or that tcpip_socket = true is
set in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf.
--------------------------------------
Note : I'Have Comunication getween to computers...(whats wrong ?)

(If I Execute PSQL in Linux it runs OK but i dont know the database name)

2 - Who I Create a new database?

3 - I've downloaded the PGSQL 7.3.3 to install/Upgrade in RH8 but the
message appears :

[pgsqlinst]# ls
postgresql-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-pl-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-contrib-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-python-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-devel-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-docs-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-tcl-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-jdbc-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-test-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
postgresql-libs-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
[root(at)LNXRH8 pgsqlinst]# rpm -i *.rpm
erro: Failed dependencies:
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2) is needed by postgresql-pl-7.3.3-1PGDG
postgresql < 7.3 conflicts with postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG

Any Idea about this ??

4 - Last Questions
- What Platforms are supported by PostGreSQL ?
- This Database Run in Windows with some stange way (whats that ?)

Tanks a lot,
Joo