Re: PostgreSQL driver for Joomla review

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL driver for Joomla review
Date: 2009-10-21 09:17:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-php

2009/10/21 Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>:
> Hi Thom,
>
> Sorry for the delay, I got sick in the meantime. I see that others
> already did some review, I will do a quick one too, later maybe I'll
> actually try it out... so after a quick review:
>
> * on line 218, the " ENCODING '$DBname')" part feels wrong, you probably
> want hardcoded UTF8 encoding there ?
> * as Merlin already commented, transactions are always safe in postgres,
> this is no mysql ;-)
> * again, as Merlin commented, getTableList is getting the data bases,
> which doesn't make sense, but maybe you actually wanted to get the
> tables - in this case you don't have a typo but you need to change the
> query ;-)
>
> If I'll get some time I'll test it too, but likely not this week...

Thanks for the feedback Csaba,

Yes, I will change the function which uses transactions, and also
replace any conditional UTF8 statements with hard-coded ones.

The getTableList function...erm... not sure what I was thinking there.
How about:

select tablename from pg_tables where schemaname='public';

As for testing it, you won't be able to with the existing Joomla code
base as most of the queries will fail as they've been terribly
written, and that's because MySQL lets you get away with it for some
reason. I imagine the only way to test it is to either get a copy of
modified Joomla from me (although it still needs work), or create a
test app which uses that class, but you will need the parent JDatabase
class from Joomla too... and not sure how deep that rabbit hole goes
as that will also in turn inherit from another class.

Thanks again.

Thom