Re: How to send multiple parameters to a pl/pgsql function

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sgarbossa Domenico <domenico(dot)sgarbossa(at)eniac(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to send multiple parameters to a pl/pgsql function
Date: 2009-10-21 09:23:05
Lists: pgsql-general

> I know that postgresql array implementation is not right complete and that if just
> one element of array is NULL the basics array function (array_dims, array_upper, etc.) returns NULL.
> I need to send a list of parameters (which could contain NULL values) and evaluate the parameters excluding NULL values
> is this possible?
> any suggestion?

It's not true. Dimensions are stored independent to content.

postgres=# create or replace function foo(int[])
returns int as $$
declare s int = 0; i integer;
begin
for i in select generate_subscripts($1,1)
loop
s := s + coalesce($1[i],0);
end loop;
return s;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=# select foo(array[1,2]);
foo
─────
3
(1 row)

postgres=# select foo(array[1,2, null, 3]);
foo
─────
6
(1 row)