Re: how do I do dump and restore without bugging with constraint?

From: "Net Tree Inc(dot)" <nettreeinc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how do I do dump and restore without bugging with constraint?
Date: 2010-02-24 01:57:14
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I see something related with Deferrable and Initially deferrable that seems
like something could avoid constraints when dumping and restore, but it has
to modify the table or re-create all of them to have such option (maybe is
what you referraled "table definitions"). Is it what it can be use for to
avoid during dumping and restoring?

DEFERRABLE
NOT DEFERRABLE

This controls whether the constraint can be deferred. A constraint that is
not deferrable will be checked immediately after every command. Checking of
constraints that are deferrable can be postponed until the end of the
transaction (using the *SET
CONSTRAINTS*<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-set-constraints.html>command).
NOT
DEFERRABLE is the default. Only foreign key constraints currently accept
this clause. All other constraint types are not deferrable.
INITIALLY IMMEDIATE
INITIALLY DEFERRED

If a constraint is deferrable, this clause specifies the default time to
check the constraint. If the constraint is INITIALLY IMMEDIATE, it is
checked after each statement. This is the default. If the constraint
is INITIALLY
DEFERRED, it is checked only at the end of the transaction. The constraint
check time can be altered with the *SET

--
Steven Huang