Re: Error logging messages

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Error logging messages
Date: 2022-04-14 14:32:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13.04.22 13:51, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> 0002: Capitalizes pg_log_error_detail and conversely starts pg_log_error with a
> lowercase letter without punctuation.

I'm having some doubts about some of these changes, especially for
interactive features in psql, where the messages are often use a bit of
a different style. I don't think this kind of thing is an improvement,
for example:

- pg_log_error("You are currently not connected to a database.");
+ pg_log_error("you are currently not connected to a database");

If we want to be strict about it, we could change the message to

"not currently connected to a database"

But I do not think just chopping of the punctuation and lower-casing the
first letter of what is after all still a sentence would be an improvement.