Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "James Mansion" <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>, "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?
Date: 2009-01-05 16:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> Peter Eisentraut escribió:
>> James Mansion wrote:

>>> Would it be possible to have a plugin facility?
>>
>> Well, before we consider that, we'd probably want to see proof about the
>> effectiveness of other compression methods.
>
> I did some measurements months ago, and it was very clear that libz
> compression was a lot tighter than the PGLZ code.

we have seen amazing results with lzo compression...2-3x faster
compression times with only 10-15% less compression:

There are tons of supporting examples online, for example:
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2005-October/008768.html

I think, if the database is automatically compressing things (which,
IMO, it shouldn't), a low cpu overhead algorithm should be favored.

merlin