Re: boolean operator on interval producing strange results

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "postgres general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: boolean operator on interval producing strange results
Date: 2007-02-20 14:30:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/19/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > # select ((now() - '1 day'::interval)::timestamp - now()) < 0;
> > ?column?
> > ----------
> > f <-- looks busted to me
> > (1 row)
>
> If you'd casted to timestamptz then I'd agree this is busted.
> As-is, it might have something to do with your timezone setting,
> which you didn't mention?

show timezone reports us/eastern in both cases. also, i don't really
see how this matters, since we are comparing '-1 days'::interval with
0 in both cases. in fact:

# show timezone;
TimeZone
------------
US/Eastern
(1 row)

# select ('-1 days'::interval) < 0;
?column?
(1 row)

as it happens, after months and months of faithful service, this
machine decided to dump core last night. so, we are scheduling some
downtime + yum update. (my previous mail was wrong, production was the
non-updated box). this is the only environmental difference I can
think of. At the very least I can report back if this fixes the
problem.

merlin