Re: Support for NSS as a libpq TLS backend

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Support for NSS as a libpq TLS backend
Date: 2020-07-31 20:44:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/15/20 6:18 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 15 Jul 2020, at 20:35, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/15/20 4:46 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> My plan is to keep hacking at this to have it reviewable for the 14 cycle, so
>>> if anyone has an interest in NSS, then I would love to hear feedback on how it
>>> works (and doesn't work).
>> I'll be happy to help, particularly with Windows support and with some
>> of the callback stuff I've had a hand in.
> That would be fantastic, thanks! The password callback handling is still a
> TODO so feel free to take a stab at that since you have a lot of context on
> there.
>
> For Windows, I've include USE_NSS in Solution.pm as Thomas pointed out in this
> thread, but that was done blind as I've done no testing on Windows yet.

OK, here is an update of your patch that compiles and runs against NSS
under Windows (VS2019).

In addition to some work that was missing in src/tools/msvc, I had to
make a few adjustments, including:

* strtok_r() isn't available on Windows. We don't use it elsewhere in
the postgres code, and it seemed unnecessary to have reentrant calls
here, so I just replaced it with equivalent strtok() calls.
* We were missing an NSS implementation of
pgtls_verify_peer_name_matches_certificate_guts(). I supplied a
dummy that's enough to get it building cleanly, but that needs to be
filled in properly.

There is still plenty of work to go, but this seemed a sufficient
milestone to report progress on.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-WIP-Support-libnss-for-as-TLS-backend-v6.patch text/x-patch 144.0 KB