Re: Problems Restarting PostgreSQL Daemon

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Rich Shepard" <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems Restarting PostgreSQL Daemon
Date: 2008-07-26 19:51:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On 27/07/2008, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com> wrote:

> Andrej,
Hi Rich,

> I found the thread in the archives for June of this year.
>
> Re-reading the posted results of running initdb I tried a different
> approach to starting the server. Instead of using pg_ctl I used 'postgres
> -D
> /var/lib/pgsql/data &' (while logged in as user postgres, of course.) That
> cleaned up a bad shutdown (when I had to reboot the system after it hung),
> fixed the missing socket, and replaced the .pid. So, it's up and running
> once again.
>
> My question is how best to modify the startup script so the postmaster
> fires up when the system is rebooted. I don't see an option to 'su' to
> specify the postgres user's password so I can script this. Have you any
> recommendation?
Since Slackware doesn't use the SysV style of inits but default the
easiest way for you to achieve an automatic start-up of postgres
on reboot would be to add something like
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.postgres ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.postgres start
fi
to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> Thanks,
>
> Rich
Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.