Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: "Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)" <noriyoshi(dot)shinoda(at)hpe(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com" <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Date: 2021-09-16 15:12:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/09/07 22:16, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 07:12:36PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> One big concern about the patch is that log message is always reported
>> when shared memory fails to be allocated with huge pages enabled
>> when huge_pages=try. Since huge_pages=try is the default setting,
>> many users would see this new log message whenever they start
>> the server. Those who don't need huge pages but just use the default
>> setting might think that such log messages would be noisy.
>
> I don't see this as any issue. We're only talking about a single message on
> each restart, which would be added in a major release.

I was afraid that logging the message like "could not ..." every time
when the server starts up would surprise users unnecessarily.
Because the message sounds like it reports a server error.
So it might be good idea to change the message to something like
"disabling huge pages" to avoid such surprise.

> If it's a problem, the
> message could be a NOTICE or INFO, and it won't be shown by default.

That's an idea, but neither NOTICE nor INFO are suitable for
this kind of message....

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao