Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance

From: "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance
Date: 2010-05-04 16:10:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Simon,

In another thread you mentioned you were lacking information from me:

On Tue, May 4, 2010 17:10, Simon Riggs wrote:

> There is no evidence that Erik's strange performance has anything to do
> with HS; it hasn't been seen elsewhere and he didn't respond to
> questions about the test setup to provide background. The profile didn't
> fit any software problem I can see.

I'm sorry if I missed requests for things that where not already mentioned.

Let me repeat:
OS: Centos 5.4
2 quadcores: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5482 @ 3.20GHz
Areca 1280ML
primary and standby db both on a 12 disk array (sata 7200rpm, Seagat Barracuda ES.2)

It goes without saying (I hope) that apart from the pgbench tests
and a few ssh sessions (myself), the machine was idle.

It would be interesting if anyone repeated these simple tests and produced
evidence that these non-HS.

(Unfortunately, I have at the moment not much time for more testing)

thanks,

Erik Rijkers