Re: still memory leaks with libpgtcl

From: ljb <lbayuk(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: still memory leaks with libpgtcl
Date: 2002-12-28 02:59:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

g(dot)hintermayer(at)inode(dot)at wrote:
> Is there absoulutely noone using postgreSQL with tcl/tk ? I cannot beleave that.
> I'd be happy to hear at least the preferred pgtcl sources -either from the
> postgreSQL sources of from the pgtcl project. And what's the differences ?

Sure people are using it. As I understand it: The Tcl interface included
with PostgreSQL-7.3.1 is the preferred, production release. The new
libpgtcl on gborg.postgresql.org is beta-test; when it is done, the Tcl
interface will be unbundled from the PostgreSQL releases (like the perl5
interface already is). The latest release of the unbundled libpgtcl-1.4b3
seems pretty good to me (I was unable to break it), so I suggest you try it
if you can.

As to your specific issues:

1) The PostgreSQL-7.3.1 released libpgtcl does have the connection loss
handling function.

2) I'm not sure what you are referring to by "fix for finding a free
connection slot (PSetResultID)". If you mean finding a free result
structure slot (PGSetResultID), then I see code changes there and I think
that is fixed in both 7.3.1 and 1.4b3. It seems to work as it should: I
can allocate 128, but not 129 result structures.

3) Memory leak on connect/disconnect unfortunately is not fixed in either
the production or beta versions. I'm seeing about 4KB loss per
connect/disconnect. I'm sure this is serious for some applications, but
others would probably not have trouble here. I can't remember: was there a
patch - has this leak been tracked down?