Re: Total crash of my db-server

From: Lee Harr <missive(at)frontiernet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Total crash of my db-server
Date: 2002-12-15 22:25:01
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <00d601c2a443$7b7b7dd0$7100a8c0(at)henrik>, "Henrik Steffen" wrote:

> sometimes I experience a total crash of my
> db-server while e.g. doing automated maintainance tasks:

The computer crashes or just the database?
It is not clear from your description.

> Always complete crashes... only reset helped.

reset postgres? or are you resetting the computer?

> Most crashes occur while maintainance tasks.
> However, there are some other crashes, too.

Is there any commonality between crashes? Are the
others maybe during daily/ weekly OS reporting?
(Generally, heavy disk activity)

> We are running some mysql-servers here, too, and I
> more and more often try to imagine to move my whole
> system to a mysql-server... my collegues NEVER have
> had such trouble with their mysql-servers yet....
>
> Do you have any hints for me? What can I do? My last
> choice would be to move to mysql, but I am almost
> desperate....

You are running mysql on the same machine? Or are these
separate systems running mysql?

My first reaction is "hardware trouble" but without
more specifics it is tough to make a diagnosis. If
you have a spare box, that might be a quick way to
see if the problem is hardware related.