Total crash of my db-server

From: "Henrik Steffen" <steffen(at)city-map(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Total crash of my db-server
Date: 2002-12-15 14:08:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

sometimes I experience a total crash of my
db-server while e.g. doing automated maintainance tasks:

At 2:30 am every night the webserver is shut
down, so there won't be any concurrent accesses to the
db-server. then there will be done a
VACUUM FULL

This is what happened tonight while fully vacuuming:

before or while processing the request.

Then, the script selects all user tables and starts
reindexing them. Tonight, reindexeing the first table
started and seconds later the whole server crashed.

No ping, nothing else possible....

This is the list of recent crashes:
Tonight 02:42 am
Yesterday night 02:39 am
Tuesday at 10:34 am
Last saturday at 10:44 am
Last Tuesday at 02:19 am
The saturday before at 04:01 am
The thursday before at 04:02 am
the tuesday before at 02:25 am

Always complete crashes... only reset helped.

Most crashes occur while maintainance tasks.
However, there are some other crashes, too.

There are never any hints in /var/log/messages

I upgraded to postgresql 7.3 recently, but it doesn't
seem to help either.

I am almost desperate.

We are running some mysql-servers here, too, and I
more and more often try to imagine to move my whole
system to a mysql-server... my collegues NEVER have
had such trouble with their mysql-servers yet....

Do you have any hints for me? What can I do? My last
choice would be to move to mysql, but I am almost
desperate....

thanks for your help

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen(at)topconcepts(dot)com Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline: +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
Ihr SMS-Gateway: JETZT NEU unter: http://sms.city-map.de
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563