Re: Server crashed, now cannot start postgres [FIXED]

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server crashed, now cannot start postgres [FIXED]
Date: 2016-09-13 00:07:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Tom Lane wrote:

> A look at the code suggests this is shm_open() returning EACCES. Not sure
> why that's happening. If this is a Linux box, maybe the permissions on
> /dev/shm are bollixed?

Tom,

Yes, it's a linux box. And /dev/shm/ does have incorrect permissions
(755). Thanks to your response I remembered that chromium does not run until
I follow its advice to chmod 1777 /dev/shm. Sure enough, chromium would not
load.

So, I changed the perms on /dev/shm/ and now both postgres and chromium
work.

Very much appreciated,

Rich